Ellie was born Saturday, February 25th, 2012 at 6:56 p.m. She weighed 8 lbs 5 oz. My friend Kami did these pictures for us the Tuesday after she was born.
Here's how the labor went down for those interested. If that sort of thing makes you want to vomit, just skip this long paragraph:
Ellie was a week overdue so I was induced on Saturday morning - we arrived at 7, got hooked up to the pitocin around 9 and waited...and waited. Just to preface, I was okay with the idea of having an epidural, but I went into it thinking I would go natural unless it was worse than Clara's labor. Around noon I started feeling regular contractions, but they were still pretty mild. Then around 3 they broke my water and turned the pitocin down, then turned it off about a half hour later because my contractions were extremely strong. I was begging for an epidural at this point because I was only dilated to a 5 and the contractions were crazy painful. So, they gave me something in my IV that would 'take the edge off' to see if that would help instead. It turned out to help a little, but made me really dizzy so I had to keep my eyes closed until she was born. I ended up dilating another 2 cm in just a half hour so it was going faster than with Clara, so no epidural was in the picture. I wished I could have had one, but to be honest, I was in so much pain that I couldn't hold still so I doubt I would have been able to get an epidural. Note to self for next time, get the epidural BEFORE they break the water if I have to have pitocin again. Anyhoo, so, only 4 hours of hard labor and 15 minutes of pushing, out came our sweet Ellie. P.S. I had 4 hours of pushing with Clara becuase she was posterior so I was pretty numb in the nether regions, but this time I felt every little bit of the ring of fire when Ellie came out. All I have to say is OUCH! Although the recovery has been MUCH better this time around because less trauma was involved. There may or may not have been times that I turned into a biter and a scratcher and a cursing sailor. Adam still loves me though thank goodness! :)
We were lucky and had my mom stay for the first week. It was so nice to have her there and to get sleep while she did night duty except for of course when Ellie needed to be fed. Adam was home for the first two days then headed back to work. My mom spoiled me by doing meals, laundry, dishes, and playing with Clara. I don't know how she lived on so little sleep! I tried to get her to take naps during the day, but it was like pulling teeth - she just kept going like she had lost no sleep.
Adam blessed Ellie on Sunday, March 4th. After sacrament meeting we had family over for lunch. It was nice to have so much family support - we filled probably 5 big benches worth of people.
My sister Cathy was already in town and stayed over Sunday night through Wednesday. So, today was the first day I had to be on my own! I've been super spoiled. She cleaned the bathrooms, organized the pantry, kept Clara and her daughter entertained, made the meals, did my laundry, etc. Luckily I made some freezer meals when I was pregnant and still have those before I have to be a real mom/housewife to two with little help! :)
Ellie has been such a cutie and added a sweet spirit to our home. Clara loves her - she's not obsessed, but when she takes time to notice her she is super sweet with her and loves her up. Luckily she has been a good little sleeper and generally happy in the days (mainly because she sleeps most the day!) We love looking at her little face - she likes to go cross eyed and sneeze so cute. She spits up a lot - a few times it's been projectile, but she is happy even when she does that. She is extremely strong - already trying to scoot around at tummy time and can hold up her head for a while. At her Dr. appt today she is 9 pounds and healthy as can be. We are so lucky to have her in our family!






she is so adorable, krista! i'm glad everything went smoothly and that she is healthy- congratulations!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you did ok on your first day alone. We already miss you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy that all went well. I too have a testimony of the epidural. I know they are wonderful when they work and don't understand why people would ever do without. Take things slow and just enjoy your new and Clara. You are very lucky to have such a great family who support and love you.
ReplyDeleteSooo cute!! Congratulations you guys. And I am impressed, so impressed. I would have been cursing like a sailor too!
ReplyDelete